Sportsmen's league wraps up its season

By Sean Chase, The Daily Observer

/Eastway upset regular season champions Finnigan's to take the Pembroke Sportsmen's Hockey League 'A' championship last week.

The league held all three championship rounds at the Pembroke Area and Community Centre with the Pembroke Merchants winning the 'B' championship with a 5-1 result, while Shots Tap and Grill skated away as the 'C' Division champs.

In the 'A' championship final, Jeff Gagne opened the scoring for Finnigan's at the 16:56 mark of the first period. The regular season champs padded their lead when Luke Vallincourt scored on Irvcon/Eastway goalie Grant Godin. Mike Culleton picked up the assist.

However, Irvcon/Eastway got on the scoreboard with a goal by Rob Levasseur.

Early in the second, Levasseur banged in his second of the night shooting high on Finnigan's netminder Brent Gagne. Reid Gregoire and Dan Levasseur picked up the helpers.

Two goals, one scored by each team, were disallowed at the midway point of the closing period. Rob Dagenais scored the game winner with assistance from Mike Yuke. Irvcon/Eastway won the 'A' championship 3-2.

In the 'B' championship, The Pembroke Merchants were the first to strike at 11:40 in the opening period when Brent Leishman scored on Donnelly Homelife netminder Shawn Gilchrist. Gary McRea picked up an assist.

The Merchants responded when McRea scored, with Chuck Burdan and Tom Chisholm picking up the assists.

In the second period, three unanswered goals would be scored by Dean Duchrow, Vince D'oust and Rick Lewis. Lyle Green picked up two helpers. The winning goalie was Mike Clarke.

EGM Insurance took an early two-goal lead in the 'C' championship final. Darryl Thrasher and Pat Donahue scored with assists by Ken Kutchuck and Darryl McLaughlin.

However, Bill Poirier gave Shots a chance when he scored with two minutes left in the period.

The second period opened with an opportunity for EGM Insurance to pad its lead, however, McLaughlin fanned on a penalty shot. Shots responded with a goal by Gary Servais. John Turner registered the assist.

EGM Insurance came back with a goal by Dean Sullivan, assisted by Pierre Turcotte. Servais then netted his second of the game.

Shots e scoring when Shawn Quinn shot the puck over the trapper side. Terry Teasdale picked up the first of two assists.

Minutes later, Terry Lance intercepted the puck as EGM was trying to move it out of its zone and passed it to Quinn who scored on a breakaway. Servais' third goal put away the game with a 6-3 victory.

Sean Chase is a Daily Observer reporter

Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »