News Local

COURT REPORT: 60 days in jail

By Sean Chase, The Daily Observer

The Ontario Court of Justice, Criminal Division convened in Pembroke on Tuesday, Aug. 24. Presiding was Justice Robert Selkirk. Representing the Crown attorney's office were Terri James and federal Crown Tim McCann.

Neil Goldberg, 30, of Pembroke, pleaded guilty to assault and committing mischief. On July 10, 2010, city police responded to reports of an altercation. They found Mr. Goldberg sitting on the front porch of a residence, bleeding from his head. A woman then told officers the accused had head-butted another man, thus causing the serious injuries to himself. Mr. Goldberg also threw a shovel at a car as he was acting in an uncontrollable manner. Justice Selkirk sentenced Mr. Goldberg to 60 days in jail, imposed two years probation and a 10-year weapons prohibition.

James White, 34, of Pembroke, pleaded guilty to committing mischief. On July 7, 2010, city police responded to reports of a car window being smashed on Prince Street. They soon observed a man fitting the description of the vandal walking towards the marina. They also noticed the man's hands were bleeding.

When officers stopped the accused, he said he smashed the window because he was having a bad day and had just been put on probation. Mr. White also had in his possession $60 which had been taken from the car. Justice Selkirk gave Mr. White 49 days pre-sentence custody credit and imposed a further 11 days in jail.

Jeffrey Chassie, 35, of Pontiac County, pleaded guilty to assaulting a peace officer. On May 21, 2010, city police were providing security at a concert at the Pembroke Memorial Centre. They were attempting to eject a heavily intoxicated male when Mr. Chassie attempted to intervene. Police cautioned him not to get involved but Mr. Chassie insisted and engaged in a scuffle, swinging his clenched fists at the officers. He was then taken into custody and later spit upon an officer while at the police station. Justice Selkirk suspended sentencing and imposed 12 months probation.

Sheldon Kargus, 23, of 829 Stonehedges Rd., Eganville, pleaded guilty to possession of a substance. On April 26, 2010, plain-clothed police officers observed what they suspected was a drug transaction occurring in downtown Pembroke. They observed a van pull up in front of a bank and saw Mr. Kargus hand a package to a person inside the vehicle. When officers approached Mr. Kargus and made inquiries, the accused produced a package containing eight grams of marijuana. Justice Selkirk sentenced Mr. Kargus to five days in jail.

Ian Henderson, 30, of 363 Third Ave. West, Pembroke, pleaded guilty to operating a motor vehicle with a blood-alcohol level over .08. On May 15, 2010, Mr. Henderson was pulled over at a RIDE checkpoint on Highway 148. His blood alcohol levels later showed 100 milligrams and 93 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood. Justice Selkirk imposed a $1,000 fine and a one-year driving prohibition.

Daniel Grahl, 21, of Pembroke, pleaded guilty to theft under $5,000. On June 7, 2010, police were called to the Pembroke Mall after two shoplifters were apprehended by store employees. Entering a store, the accused and another male had asked for an empty bag which the clerk gave them. The clerk became suspicious and began observing their activity. After it appeared they were filling the bag with items, she informed her supervisor, who approached the two.

They first stated they had purchased the items but then claimed to have found the bag and were going to return it. Police found that neither person had any money on him. A pair of $125 shoes and a pair of earrings were recovered. Justice Selkirk sentenced Mr. Grahl to seven days in jail.

Bradley Johnson, 19, of 350 Chamberlain St., Pembroke, pleaded guilty to impaired operation of a motor vehicle, refusing to provide a sample and possession of a substance. On the night of March 23, 2010, a Petawawa Point couple was awakened by sounds of a car squealing its tires. The homeowner went outside and approached the car, which had stopped in their driveway. He saw two males, heavily intoxicated and arguing. They got out of the vehicle and guing. The homeowner then attempted to stop the driver from getting back into the vehicle.

Mr. Johnson then jumped behind the wheel and backed the vehicle out of the driveway and drove the car three houses down the street before stopping. He returned and joined his friend. Both were acting in a threatening manner when OPP and military police arrived at the scene. The two were arrested and taken into custody where Mr. Johnson remained uncooperative. He was also found with a gram of marijuana on his person.

Justice Selkirk suspended sentencing imposing $2,200 in fines, 12 months probation and a one-year driving prohibition.

Kelsey Spencer, 21, of Deep River, pleaded guilty to operating a motor vehicle with a bloodalcohol level over .08 and failing to stop for police. On July 31, 2010, town police were patrolling Highway 17 when they spotted a westbound ATV pull out onto the highway. They then saw the driver look back and then cross over the median into the eastbound lane. A car was approaching the ATV when it veered off onto Keys Road. Police eir pursuit until the ATV pulled onto a dirt road. It wn the road into a field, where the vehicle rolled over.

Officers had to tackle the driver who refused to get down on the ground after being ordered to do so. After the driver, identified as Mr. Spencer, removed his helmet, they detected a strong odour of alcohol. He also had 15 cans of beer in his backpack. His blood alcohol readings later showed 192 milligrams and 203 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood.

Justice Selkirk imposed $3,000 in fines and a one-year driving prohibition.

Andrew Stalkie, 29, of Pembroke, pleaded guilty to operating a motor vehicle with a bloodalcohol level over .08. On July 31, 2010, police were called to a disturbance in the city's west end. Arriving at the scene, Mr. Stalkie informed the officers that he planned to drive the male involved in the incident back to Petawawa. Officers, sensing that Mr. Stalkie was intoxicated, warned him he was in no shape to drive and instructed him to take a taxi.

Later that night, officers observed Mr. Stalkie's van pulling out from the apartment complex where the earlier incident had occurred. They then pursued the vehicle for several city blocks before the van pulled over. Approaching the vehicle, they could not find anyone in the cab but found Mr. Stalkie hiding in the back. His blood alcohol readings later showed 105 milligrams and 98 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood.

Justice Selkirk imposed a $1,000 fine and a one-year driving prohibition.

Romualdo Ferrari, 21, of 790 Baseline Rd., Ottawa, pleaded guilty to possession of a weapon. On July 31, 2010, a woman was walking with her child in a Whitewater Region campground when they spotted Mr. Ferrari sitting on a park bench. After he attempted some small talk with the woman, he pulled out a hatchet and said he was "going to cause some trouble here." The woman became alarmed and informed her husband, who notified park authorities. Police later found Mr. Ferrari, who claimed to be staying at the campground with his mother. Officers then found out he was on conditional sentence and there was an outstanding bench warrant for his arrest in Ottawa.

Justice Selkirk imposed a 90-day conditional sentence.

Sean Chase is a Daily Observer reporter

Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »