Two shootouts were needed

Three exciting championship finals wrapped up another season of the Pembroke Sportsmen's Hockey League on Thursday at the Pembroke Memorial Centre.

Shots wrested the `A' final title from regular season champions EGM Insurance in a dramatic battle which needed to be determined by a shootout.

Trailing 4-2, Shots scored twice 30 seconds apart in the final two minutes to force the overtime action, which Shots won two goals to one.

Shawn Quinn, Trevor Richardson, Corey Lacombe and John Turner scored for Shots during regulation time, with Richardson and Lacombe each also earning an assist. Assists were also picked up by Glen Getz, who had two to his credit, and Brad Clouthier.

Scoring for EGM Insurance was Bob Videto, who scored twice, Chris Jarvis and Jay Geddes, who also earned an assist.

Other assists were credited to Perry Turcotte, Dean Sullivan, Scott Mohns, Darryl White and Tim Peplinskie.

In the `B' final, the Pembroke Merchants struggled back from trailing Irvcon/ Eastway 5-2 to make it a 5-4 game before time ran out, leaving Irvcon the `B' champions this season.

Irvcon had taken a commanding 4-2 lead in the first period when the Merchants responded late in the second, narrowing the lead to 4-3. Irvcon bumped up the score with only 41 seconds left in regulation time, only to see the lead narrowed by the Merchants in the last two seconds.

Scoring for Irvcon/ Eastway was Rob Levasseur, who scored a pair of goals, Mike Yuke, Rob Dagenais and Ed Cotnam. Assists were earned by Peter Leach and Daniel Levasseur, who picked up two each, Dennis Levasseur and John Robinson.

Scoring for the Merchants were G. Lowe, Tim Hoffman, Tim McCann and Gary McRae, with assists by J. Mick, Brian Dennique, Dean Duchrow, Lyle Green and Rick Lewis.

Another shootout was needed to settle things in the `C' final between Donnelly's Homelife and Finnigan's, which was a back-and-forth nailbiter.

Leading 2-1 by the end of the first period, Finnigan's found themselves trailing 3- 2 after a second period comeback by Homelife, only to stave off defeat by tying things 3-3 with only 44 seconds remaining in regulation time.

Homelife then scored twice in the shootout to take the `C' championship.

Hec Clouthier scored twice, once in regulation time, the second time in the shootout, as did Terry Friend. Neil Lipke started off the scoring for Homelife.

Earning assists were Mitch Brideau, who was credited with two, and Jim Sell.

Pat Hahn scored for Finniga n's and picked up an assist, with Richard Barber and Terry Bozak also scoring goals. Brian Godin picked up an assist.

Stephen Uhler is a Daily Observer multimedia journalist

Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »