News Local

Small fire at Pembroke Legion Branch 72 knocks kitchen temporarily out of commission

By Stephen Uhler, The Daily Observer

A small fire has put the Pembroke Legion’s kitchen out of commission for the time being.

At approximately 10:54 a.m. the Pembroke Fire Dept. responded to a report of a fire at Royal Canadian Legion Branch 72. Upon arrival it was discovered to be a kitchen cooking fire which had extended into the walls. Staff activated the kitchen extinguishing system prior to the firefighters’ arrival, but the fire had extended into a nearby wall.

Pembroke firefighters were able to contain the fire to a small area around where it started, however, there is some damage to the kitchen area and there was smoke throughout the building. Three trucks and approximately12 firefighters were called in to control the fire.

Fire Chief Dan Herback said the Legion members working there activated the kitchen extinguisher system, but then activated the alarm when it was discovered the fire was extending into the walls.

“We were there within minutes and were able to ensure the fire didn’t get into the rest of the building,” he said. The department had to take apart a portion of the kitchen wall to deal with that, using the department’s thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots and further evidence of fire spreading.

Herback said there wasn’t any smoke damage, although smoke was found throughout the building. This was cleared out with the fire department’s positive pressure fan.

Brady Stewart, Branch 72 president, said no one was hurt and the damage was confined to the kitchen area. He said the fire started on the stove and spread from there.

“We’re waiting for the insurance adjuster to give us an estimate,” he said, adding it appears the kitchen will be out of service for the next couple of weeks. However, the Legion president said the hall and the lounge remain open and ready for business.

“Everything else is up and running,” he said, noting they have been notifying those who have rented the hall of the situation.

SUhler@postmedia.com 



Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »