Peewee Silver Stick wraps up

By Stephen Uhler, The Daily Observer

The Bill Kutschke Peewee ‘B,’ ‘C’ Weekend wrapped up Sunday afternoon with local teams shut out of the final round.


The Pembroke Kings and the Muskrat Voyageurs came closest to getting banners in this second weekend of the 33rd annual Pembroke Regional Silver Stick Tournament, but both teams fell in the semifinals.

The Nepean Raiders Black was crowned the Peewee B champion after defeating the Metcalfe Jets 5-3, while the Tweed Hawks won the Peewee C banner, downing the Powassan Hawks 1-0 in the finals.

In Peewee B, the Pembroke Kings followed up their Friday 6-0 win against Ennismore with a 3-0 victory over the South Stormont Selects. Kings goalie Bryce Maahs picked up his second shutout of the tournament.

Scoring for Pembroke were Travis St. Amour, Cameron Chiasson and Landon Mackay. Nolan Ranger picked up two assists, while Jared Foley was credited with one assist.

In their last game of the round robin, the Kings edged the Metcalfe Jets 1-0. After both sides went scoreless throughout the game, Ranger scored in the third period for Pembroke. Noah Geddes and Thomas Pigeon received assists on the play. Maahs in net earned another shutout.

On Sunday in the quarter-finals, Pembroke won a close 5-4 game against the Frontenac Flyers.

Geddes scored twice for the Kings and earned an assist, Ranger scored once and received an assist, with other goals scored by Landon Mackay and Evan Varvaresos.

Rochon picked up two assists, with Pigeon, St. Amour and Ethan Timm each receiving assists.

In the other quarter-final games, Nepean Raiders Black defeated Arnprior 4-0, Metcalfe Jets beat the Ottawa West Golden Knights 5-1, and the Stittsville Rams defeated the Alexandria Glens 5-1.

In the semifinals, the Kings faced the Metcalfe Jets in a rematch from Saturday afternoon, but in a heartbreaker of a game it would be the Jets who came out on top, defeating Pembroke 3-2.

Tied 2-2 at the start of the third period, the Jets scored what would prove to be the game winner two and a half minutes from the faceoff. Despite their best efforts, the Kings could not put in the equalizer, and time ran out on them.

Mackay scored once and earned two assists, Foley scored the other goal, while St. Amour received two assists in the game.

Nepean edged the Stittsville 1-0 in the other semifinal.

The Petawawa Patriots had a rough show, ending their Silver Stick run with a one win, one loss and one tie record.

On Friday evening, the Petawawa Patriots tied the Osgoode Romans 1-1 following three overtime periods.

Scoring the Patriots sole goal in the first period was Cole Foley, while Joey Simiana and Tyler Sparling earned assists. Osgoode tied the game in the third period.

Facing the Mississippi Thunder Kings on Saturday afternoon, the Patriots found themselves on the wrong side of a 5-1 score. Foley again scored for Petawawa, with the assist earned by Kalan Layden.

In the last game of the day, Petawawa blanked the Stittsville Rams 2-0 with a pair of late game goals.

Sparling and Layden scored for the Patriots, with assists being earned by Foley, Jack Chubbs and Sam Mohns. Petawawa goalie Austin Carson earned the shutout.

Wrapping up the Peewee B round robin, Nepean Raiders Black beat the Leeds Chargers 5-2, the Frontenac Flyers edged the West Carleton Crusaders 4-3, the Metcalfe Jets blanked South Stormont Selects 7-0, the Stittsville Rams beat the Mississippi Thunder Kings 3-1, Metcalfe beat Ennismore Eagles 4-0, Ottawa West Golden Knights tied Brockville Jr. Braves 1-1, Arnprior Packers blanked South Grenville Rangers 1-0, the Nepean Raiders Black downed the Frontenac Flyers 5-1, the Campbellford Colts tied NGS Braves 1-1, the Leeds Chargers beat West Carleton 3-1, the Renfrew Timberwolves edged Alexandria 6-5, Stittsville beat Osgoode 7-3, Ennismore defeated South Stormont 2-0, Ottawa West thumped South Grenville 6-1, Arnprior beat Brockville 3-0, Nepean Raiders Black defeated West Carleton 3-0, Frontinac beat the Leeds Chargers 6-2, Alexandria blanked Campbellford 5-0, Renfrew tied the NGS Braves 2-2, as did Osgoode and Mississippi.

In Peewee C, in a match up of Ottawa Valley teams, the Muskrat Voyageurs faced the Valley Storm Friday night, with Muskrat defeating them 5-2.

The Storm had earlier tied the Mariposa Lightning 2-2, while Muskrat fell to the Douro Dukes 5-3.

The Voyageurs leapt out to an early 3-0 lead and never relinquished it, despite a rally by the Storm when they narrowed things to 3-2. Muskrat responded with two more goals to secure the win.

Max Heyens scored two goals for Muskrat, Ben Beland and Genevieve Laroche each scored once and earned an assist, with George Dedo scoring a goal. Earning assists were Brendan Lynch, Kris Renaud, Hugo Boisvert and Maveric Welk.

Curtis Fabian and Conner Recoskie scored for the Valley Storm, with Maveric Welk picking up an assist.

The next day, the Voyageurs edged the Sturgeon Lake Thunder 3-2, following a scoreless first period. Beland scored once and earned two assists, Boisvert scored one and picked up an assist, with the remaining goal scored by Lynch.

At the end of the day, Muskrat faced the Mariposa Lightning, defeating them 3-1 to earn a berth in the semifinals. The Voyageurs were trailing 1-0 before answering with three straight goals in the first and second periods.

Beland scored once and earned two assists, with Lynch and Nolan Costello scoring the remaining two goals. Laroche, Olivia McLaughlin, Colby Bacon and Joe Wicks all received assists.

Facing the Powassan Hawks, Muskrat tried hard to come back after falling behind 2-0 in the first period, but were unable to get through their opponents defence. The final score remained 2-0 at the buzzer, ending Muskrat's hopes for a crack at a Silver Stick banner.

In the other C semifinal, the Tweed Hawks beat the Brock Wild 4-0 before heading to the finals.

On Saturday, the Valley Storm was blanked 6-0 by the Douro Dukes, then ended their Silver Stick run after being beaten 7-0 by the Tweed Hawks.

After tying the Brock Wild 2-2, the Deep River Knights rallied Friday night after trailing 3-1 to the Powassan Hawks to score two goals and force overtime. Following three overtime periods, the game ended with a 3-3 tie.

Scoring for the Knights were Ibrahim Chowdhury, Baraa Ben Latifia and Keegan Martin. Payton Miller earned three assists, while River Hogue picked up an assist.

On Saturday, Deep River lost to the Tweed Hawks 4-1, with Baraa Ben Latifia scoring the goal for the Knights. Jorja Stephenson picked up the assist.

Then, the Knights rebounded, defeating the Douro Dukes 4-1.

Latifia scored twice and chalked up an assist, Chowdhury scored once and earned an assist, while Martin also scored a goal. Earning assists were William Milks, who picked up two, Logan Kirkpatrick and Lance Breckon.

Summing up the rest of the Peewee C round robin games, Sturgeon Lake Thunder tied the Powassan Hawks 1-1, Tweed Hawks beat the Mariposa Lightning 3-1, the Brock Wild edged Douro Dukes 3-2, Brock Wild defeated Sturgeon Lake 3-1, Powassan tied Mariposa 2-2, and Powassan downed the Brock Wild 2-0.

The Silver Stick continues next weekend Nov. 24-26 with the Frank Nighbor Bantam AA, B, C Weekend. It gets underway Friday, Nov. 24 at noon. 

Featured Businesses

Go to the Marketplace »